How to Put Your Leftover Halloween Candy
to Good Use in Will County, IL
I know Halloween is a couple weeks away yet, but the holiday ... and the candy stash that typically finds its way into our home, is on my mind.
Now if your neighborhood is anything like our's, the number of trick-or-treaters that land on your doorstep on Halloween can vary greatly from one year to another .
In Will County and IL, finicky Fall weather explains a lot of those fluctuations. But even when weather is good, we see hugely varying numbers. Some years it seems as though a caravan of buses must have dropped kids off nearby. During others, we see far fewer little ghosts and gremlins.
Planning ahead for such wide fluctuations in numbers can be a real challenge for candy buyers. My wife's rule of thumb is to plan as though a large army of kids is going to drop by each year. The thought of even one child not receiving candy at our house gives her chills and nightmares.
I'm not complaining though. Being a bit of a "candyholic", I'm more than okay with some candy going unclaimed. But even I have my candy-eating limitations.
So what do you do if you live in the Will County (IL) area and you still have a large amount of candy after this year's Halloween is over? Here are some suggestions:
- Freeze some of the leftovers. If packaged and frozen correctly, chocolates will last for a lengthy period of time
- Consider taking part in a Will County candy "Buy Back" program, such as:
B. Bring leftover hard candies to the Mokena Park District's "Stockings for our Troops", being held Monday, November 11th, 10 am to 1 pm, at The Oaks Recreation and Fitness Center located at: 10847 W. LaPorte Road. (Other items to fill stockings would be appreciated, as well.)
C. Donate to other organizations in need of donations and fillers for military holiday stockings or care packages, such as "Operation Gratitude" or "Sweets for Soldiers".
- Donate your candy to a Will County food bank, homeless shelter, soup kitchen, or a local church collecting for holiday food baskets
- Bring some of the candy to work
- Use the candy in recipes. Click HERE to find some recipe suggestions!
Hope you enjoy a safe and Happy Halloween!
* Hoping to Buy or Refinance a home in Will County, IL? Contact Me! I'll put my 36 years of mortgage experience and expertise hard to work on your behalf.
I can be easily found at:
Click HERE for a FREE Mortgage Consultation!
Ready to Apply for your Mortgage?