THEIR Goals, Not Ours. Serving Our Clients' Needs


THEIR Goals, Not Ours
Serving Our Clients' Needs


With schools celebrating the Spring holidays, we were lucky enough to have our grandchildren with us for a few days.  Needless to say, we were thrilled.  

As I'm sure other grandparents will attest, nothing is better than having your grandkids around.  It's a great opportunity to do some spoiling ... and that's just what we intended to do.  

One afternoon, my wife took the kids to the local mall.  Quickly growing kids with longer legs and arms means there's always a need for new clothes.  Gramma was in heaven shopping for her cuties.

As with most malls these days, this one had kiosks scattered in the mall aisles.  At one, a vendor approached my wife asking if she wanted to examine the fragrances she had for sale.  Marilyn declined the offer.

But this vendor wasn't going to be thwarted easily.  She again offered a spritz of fragrance to my wife saying that it would "enhance her day".  Again the vendor heard a "no" from my wife.  

The vendor didn't give up.  She then followed my wife to the entrance of a nearby store and spritzed her anyway.  Angrily, my wife gathered the kids and entered the store. 

Clearly, this vendor crossed the line.  They didn't take no for an answer.  They, via their pushy actions, ultimately did their business and product harm.  My wife will never buy their product now.  I'm thinking that's not the outcome they were seeking.

What this vendor didn't know (or obviously care) is that fragrances can be a trigger for migraine sufferers.  One sniff of the wrong smell can cause hours of intense pain.  My wife's had severe migraines for decades.  The vendor had placed her in danger.

But even beyond that important issue, this vendor placed their will and wishes above my wife's.  They assumed they knew better what was "good" for her.  

I think this tale provides a very important lesson for all businesspersons ...

We can think we're pretty smart.  We might think we know better than our clients what is "right" or even "good" for them.  What will fulfill their needs best ... what will deliver them the best results.

We may believe these things because we have years of experience in our field and have honed our expertise.  That all our experience and expertise lead us to sound conclusions and good outcomes.  

But ... in the end, the choices must remain our clients' ...   

My wife's relating of this story was pretty timely for me.  I've had recent borrowers in financing scenarios that I fear may ultimately be pursuing ... for lack of better words ... "questionable" purchases and paths.  My experience, expertise, and gut tell me so.  

In these cases, I have thoroughly explained their financing options to them and expressed my opinions and provided them my advice.  But ultimately, the final decision is theirs to make.   That can leave a professional somewhat frustrated at times. 

But my wife's experiences with the mall vendor served as a clear reminder to me regarding this fact.  Once my client has received all the info necessary to do so, their job is to make a final decision as to how to proceed.

My job as their Loan Officer is to assist them in doing that ... and achieving their goals ...  


* Are you hoping to buy or refinance a home or investment property in New Lenox, Will County, or elsewhere in the Chicagoland, IL/Wisconsin area?

Contact Me!  I'll put my 40+ years of mortgage experience and expertise to work answering your questions and fulfilling your financing needs.
I'm easily found at:



Gene Mundt

Mortgage Originator - NMLS #217987 - IL Lic. #031.0006220 - WI Licensed


American Portfolio Mortgage Corp.


NMLS #175656




Direct: 815.524.2280
Cell/Text: 708.921.6331
eFax: 815.524.2281




 Twitter Account of Gene Mundt, Mortgage Lender   LinkedIn Account of Gene Mundt, Mortgage Lender   Facebook Acct. of Gene Mundt, Mortgage Lender   Pinterest Acct. of Gene Mundt, Mortgage Lender   
     Gene's Chicagoland Blog/Gene Mundt, Mortgage Lender 



Gene Mundt, Mortgage Originator, an Originator with 40+ years of mortgage experience, will offer you exemplary mortgage service and advice when seeking:  Conventional, FHA, VA, Jumbo, USDA, and Portfolio Loans in Chicago and the greater Chicagoland region, including:  The Lincoln-Way Area, Will County, (New Lenox, Frankfort, Mokena, Manhattan, Joliet, Shorewood, Crest Hill, Plainfield, Bolingbrook, Romeoville, Naperville, etc.), DuPage County, the City of Chicago, Cook County, and elsewhere within IL & WI.  

Referrals are Greatly Welcomed & Appreciated!















No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment on my post!

Procrastination Does Not Pay When You Hope to Finance a Home

  Procrastination Does Not Pay When  You Hope to Finance a Home   “If you want to make an easy job seem mighty hard, just keep putting off d...